Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Crazy Dinner, for a Tuesday.

So, tonight we had:

  • The pork belly I started cooking last night - turned out alright. The first pieces we had hadn't crisped up as much as I would have thought they ought to have. So, for the second go-round, I threw 'em under the broiler until the skin had crackled and popped, and it was much better. The wine/roasted garlic/chicken stock/thyme sauce was awesome, and all in all, pretty darned good. Next time I'll know to really make sure the skin's super crisp, but it was tasty regardless.
  • Grilled squash - I grilled up two kinds of squash on our grill pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and they turned out really nice.
  • Some homemade bread that Ei-Nyung whipped up a couple days ago
  • A baguette
  • Cowgirl Creamery's "Mt. Tam" cheese
  • An aged gouda, I don't recall the specific brand
  • Rillettes du Perigord - a duck pate/confit of some sort, from the French dude at the farmer's market
  • For dessert, a dark chocolate Dove Bar
Yeah, a totally ridiculous meal, but pork belly's sort of an "event" dish, so I figured we might as well really blow it out. Good stuff. I'll post pics later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Seppo said...

Made the pork belly again last night, and the skin was definitely better, though it got burnt in a couple places. I didn't do the "refrigeration/pressing" stage, and I don't think it suffered much from it, *except* that while broiling it to crisp up the skin, areas where it was taller got a little burnt. Still, saving a 4-hour refrigeration phase made this doable in 3 hours, which was a pretty critical difference to making dinner Sunday.

This is a really simple dish - I'd definitely recommend trying it to anyone who's interested.

12:27 PM  
Blogger eingy said...

The second round of pork belly was insanely delicious. The crisp parts were crisp and the meaty part was tender and flavorful.

I kept wondering though, if it would be better if more of the fat could be rendered off to make the skin crispier. I know it's not like poultry, but I kept thinking of that duck. :D

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home